Friday, May 29

Feed Me...Please!

So I am once again on The Fat Flush Diet (only waaaay modified so I don't kill myself. You can get the book from Amazon, should you wish to torture yourself) and, while eating my nutritious & yummy lunch of hard boiled egg with fresh tomato, snap peas, & carrots (seriously, really good), was trying to describe a scottish egg to my mother. A scottish egg is probably one of the ugliest things you may see (think brown baked golf ball) but (with Coleman's mustard) one of the tastiest treats I grew to love while living in England a century ago.


So, while looking for pictures via Google, I ran across this recipe which I thought was hysterical & thought I'd post it here just for fun. I especially like the beer part. For those that must know & to give credit where credit is due, I obtained this recipe from Recipeland.com (link is in my side bar).


Scottish Eggs
Have some eggs for dinner the old Scottish way with this savory recipe that will find its place in your cookbook.

Preparation-40 minutes
Cooking-20 minutes
Ready In-60 minutes

Ingredients
1 pound sausage meat
7 large eggs, hard boiled
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped or grated
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon water
Some all-purpose flour, for coating purposes
Package of bread crumbs (fine & dry)
Beer

Directions:
To begin, crack a Kokanee (that would be the beer--I'd substitute for a Snakebite*, myself), pour it into a frosted mug and quaff it while six of the eggs are hard boiling. When they're done, put them to one side and mix the meat, onion, and spice mixture together. Take the resulting mixture and coat the eggs with it carefully and evenly. You might even want to peel the shells off first - although they do add an interesting texture.

When the eggs are done, roll them in the flour, shake off the excess, and put the eggs in the fridge for about an hour so the meat sets up. While you're waiting, you might as well crack another Kokanee and put your feet up; no sense straining yourself.

A couple of minutes before the hours up, lightly beat the remaining egg with the tsp. of water. Again, you might want to remove the shell. Take the eggs, dip them in the egg mixture, and roll them in the breadcrumbs; they are now ready for cooking.

Traditionally, Scotch Eggs are deep fried. You can do that if you wish, but who needs all the extra grease in their diet and the mess and smell? I suggest you bake them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the sausage covering is firm when picked at with a knife or fork. I usually stick them on a wire rack with a pan underneath so that they don't sit and cook in any grease that renders out of the sausage.

A great way to serve them is with a chilled Spinach and Bacon salad and fresh tomatoes. Or take them on a picnic or simply snack on them. Don't forget the Coleman's Mustard! Enjoy!

Yum!!!!

*Snakebite is a drink made from hard cider and lager beer (I prefer Guiness) In the United States the term has come to denote a beer cocktail comprising equal quantities of beer and cider. The drink is also known as a Poor Man's Black Velvet. A Black Velvet is a mixture of half Guinness, half champagne. I love them both!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, we are celebrating my sister's 31st birthday with some of her friends...I am cooking. Being on the Fat Flush Diet reminds me of all sorts of foods that I used to make but don't anymore (mostly because standing for prep & cook time causes intense pain and not because I am "dieting," but I digress). Anyway, we are having gazpacho (a cold tomato, cucumber, & bell pepper soup) and butternut squash quesadillas...I love these things & haven't made them in years so I hope I don't forget how I used to make 'em. Of course there are recipes online, but since I never used them in the past, why start now? If all goes well, tomorrow's luncheon should resemble this:





and this:





And shall be served with lots of this:



And this:

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love and leave a message!