Wednesday, February 15

Join the Knit-a-Squillion Challenge

I found this blog posting via a friend on facebook...And the idea fascinated and inspired me (and I'm not even a knitter!)
So I thought I'd re-share! Mind you, I have know idea who the author of this blog (Kitty's Fiber Journey) is nor anything about her, but I liked the idea she is sharing here.

The following are portions taken from From Kitty's Fiber Journey blog posting:

Join the Knit-a-Squillion Challenge
..I invite you to join another challenge! This one is quite easy and yet has such a huge impact on the lives of children. We are all aware that the African continent is the one the hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic. What most of us ignore, myself included, is that the adults who die of AIDS leave their children behind. There are an estimated 1.9 million AIDS orphans in Sub-Saharan Africa. 500 children a day are made orphans by the combined ravages of AIDS and poverty. The majority of them are left to fend for themselves in shanty towns. Governments and charity organizations do what they can, but it is not enough.

Percentage of adults infected by AIDS in 2009.

Since 2008, the KasCare foundation has been taking donations of knit and crochet squares to make blankets that are then distributed to these poor children. The idea is ingenious. Why just a square? Because squares are quick and easy to create and they are small and light to ship. People from all over the world can contribute and for a small cost, send the squares to South Africa. Once in Africa, the squares are assembled into blankets by volunteers and even prison inmates!...


...South Africa is faced with yet another horrendous problem and this time I am not helpless. I can make a difference. I have joined the knit -a-squillion challenge. I will empty my stash and send beautiful squares to help warm these beautiful children!

Beautiful AIDs orphans in their beautiful KAS~Care Blankets

Isn't this a wonderfully cool and simple and inspiring thing to do??? So all those of you who knit or crochett, get those needles clicking!

The goal of the knit-a-squillion challenge is to collect 1-2 million squares by July 1st.

Here are the different ways you can join them:
***As I do not know anything about this organization personally, I urge you to research them personally prior to making donations to them.*** (You can click on the link above to visit their site)


- Knit or crochet an 8” (20 cm) square (instructions)


- You aren’t a needle person? Upcycle a wool sweater by felting it and cutting it into squares (instructions)

- You want to do more? Hats and sweaters are also needed! (instructions)

- Make a donation on the knit a square site.

- Encourage family, friends, neighbors and colleagues to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love and leave a message!